Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Things to Keep in Mind...

When you are considering your New Year's resolutions, it might be helpful to think about your mentee. This can be a fun activity: create your New Years resolutions together. Pick a few that you can each support each other in and get going! 

Along those lines, I read this article this morning, and though it was geared towards parents, I think that many of the points made are applicable to you as mentors. It's taken and adapted from Family Circle magazine. They look like common sense, but they can be difficult at times. Just do your best, that is all we can ask for.
  • I will always care for my mentee for who they are — not who I want them to be.
  • I will give my mentee space to grow, to dream, to succeed and even to fail. Without that space, no growth can occur.
  • When discipline is necessary, I will let my mentee know that I disapprove of what they have done, not who they are. It’s a very important distinction.
  • I will set limits and help my mentee find security in the knowledge of what is expected of them. They will not have to guess what is right or wrong.
  • I will not burden my mentee with emotions and problems they are not equipped to deal with.
  • I will encourage my mentee to experience the world and all of its possibilities, taking pains to leave them careful but not fearful.
  • I will try to be the kind of person I want my mentee to be: loving, fair-minded, giving and hopeful.
Many happy, warm wishes to you and your families this winter. Let the rain be a reminder of renewal and refreshment as we journey into the new year.

Thank you for being wonderful mentors. With love from all of us here in the Mentor Program.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...